Catalytic convertor thefts from delivery vans
Overnight there have been eight catalytic convertors stolen from delivery vans at a commercial business in Bar Hill, South Cambridgeshire. A Mercedes Sprinter van at a residential address nearby was also targeted in the same timeframe.
The vehicles targeted appear to be the Ford Ranger and Mercedes Sprinter van
The sprinter van is a very popular fleet van, used by most delivery companies, van hire companies and supermarkets amongst others.
A catalytic converter controls and converts exhaust emissions from your vehicle into less toxic substances. They are being stolen and sold for the re-sale value of the four precious metals from which they are made.
- If you see anyone working under vehicles, and they are acting suspiciously, report it to the police
- For business fleets, consider good quality, strong perimeter fencing and try defensive parking (If you have a fleet of vehicles, block those with high ground clearance using vehicles with low clearance to obstruct access underneath the vehicle). Install and monitor CCTV and / or compound alarm systems
- Mark your catalytic converter with a marking and registration system (e.g. www.retainagroup.com ). Alternatively contact your local police team by phoning 101 to find out when the next catalytic converter marking day is taking place in your area
- Fix a catalytic converter security device (e.g. ‘Cat Clamp Maxx’ available from www.catsafe.org.uk ). Or contact your local garage who may offer bespoke security fittings, such as clamps and cages for catalytic convertors.
- Contact Cambridgeshire Constabulary on 101 for site specific crime prevention advice
South Cambs Business Watch Officer, Carly Freed said: ‘’you may know your catalytic convertor has been stolen because your vehicle’s engine will sound different. Vehicles with a high ground clearance such as delivery vans are particularly vulnerable.
A catalytic convertor can be stolen in a matter of seconds and is worth a few hundred pounds in scrap value but the cost to your business can run into the thousands including repairs and business disruption’’.